Coming back from shopping, running errands, seeing your doctor, or coming from elsewhere and finding that your car has been hit can be very annoying, especially when you are a careful driver and have a tight schedule and many other things to do.
Minor car accidents in most public places are due to distracted drivers talking on the phone, being in a hurry, finding a spot to park, or simply being careless. And when you least expect it, you end up being hit by another car.
What is important that you keep in mind is that no matter how slight the fender bender is, you need to think of it as an actual car accident as long as you are willing to get fairly compensated for the damage done to your car. We will share some tips you can follow and advise on whether you qualify for a claim or not.
Here’s What You Need To Do After Your Parked Car Was Hit
Commonly, accidents in public places are associated with drivers driving off after they found they hit someone else’s car. Some do not even realize the damage they have done when it is slight and subtle. Therefore, knowing what to do can help you successfully deal with this.
- Keep everything intact, and that implies not moving your car or touching anything in the scene.
- Find who is held responsible for the damage and exchange contact information.
- Photograph the scene, including key areas like the damage.
- Document the accident, tracking the time
If Your Car Was Hit And The Driver Drove Off, Consider The Following
- First of all, you need to change the way you look at the accident as it is no longer an accident but a crime. The moment the driver ran away makes it a crime.
- Take photos of the damage and the surroundings.
- Notify your local police to file a report.
- Call your insurance company and inquire about how they can cover hit-and-run accidents.
In some instances, you will find yourself needing assistance beyond this advice. In such cases, the best thing to do is to let professional lawyers handle the situation so you can get the assistance you need promptly and efficiently.
Need A Highly Experienced Team That Can Effectively Handle Your Case?
Hashem Law Firm has a team of car accident lawyers with years of experience handling cases for people just like you. We provide legal services in the Monticello area, and you may qualify for a claim. Get hold of one of our legal advisors to discuss further how we will assist you.